Jeff and I both love Moe’s Original BBQ. They have awesome smoked wings and pulled pork, but one of our favorite things about eating there is there side dishes. They have different sides on the menu all the time. Some of the ones we love are the squash casserole, black eyed peas, and hoppin’ john. They also have this amazing Grilled cornbread that they serve on the side of their pulled pork and wing plates. It’s a slightly sweet cornbread and they slice it and grill it on the flat top. It is always my favorite part of my meal there, so I decided to try to come up with my own version of the recipe. It turned out really well and even got Jeff’s stamp of approval. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 tablespoon diced jalepenos with juice
- Butter or margarine (for grilling)
- Whisk together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour (until golden brown).
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a rack until completely cooled.
- Slice into 1 inch slices with a serrated knife.
- Butter each side of each slide of bread and grill on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side.