We’ve been out of school for two days due to ice and snow, and I’ve been craving some comfort food. I whipped up this hearty shepherd’s pie using all Whole 30 approved ingredients.
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 cup Whole 30 compliant chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Wash and peel the russet potatoes.
- Chop potatoes into small cubes, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, dice the onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the pan.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and carrots for about 3 minutes, until the onions are transparent.
- Add the ground chuck to the pan and season with salt, pepper, oregano, parsley flakes, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Stir and cook until the meat is all browned.
- Once meat is browned, turn down the heat to low and add 1 tablespoon of coconut flour and 1/3 cup of chicken broth to the meat mixture. Stir well and simmer to thicken the sauce. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the mashed potato topping, drain the potatoes. Add 2/3 cup of chicken broth and beat with a hand mixer until creamy. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and parsley flakes as needed (you may not need extra salt because of the salt in the chicken broth).
- Spoon the meat mixture into a small casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then put under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until the potato topping begins to brown.
Makes 4-6 servings.