A Day in the Life – January 2018

I love the idea of documenting a regular day to show you guys what life is really like for us. Sure, it’s fun to show pictures and highlights from special events and trips, but the real story about us is found in the normal days. I’m just like you – trying to balance being a wife and mom, working full-time, cooking and cleaning, and everything else in this crazy life of mine.

I chose to document Monday, January 22, which was a pretty normal day for us. Here’s what happens around here on a typical day…

5:45 a.m. – TIME TO GET UP

I am NOT a morning person. I wish I could tell you that I am the kind of person who gets up early, before the rest of the people in the house wake up, and spends my morning in peaceful quiet watching the sun rise while I read or workout or do something productive, but that is not me at all. This morning, when my alarm went off at 5:45, I was on the couch with a half-asleep, fussy baby on my chest. I didn’t even hit the snooze button – I asked Jeff to because he was closer to my phone than I was and I didn’t want to get up. As soon as the alarm went off, Jack wanted his bottle, so Jeff fixed it for him and handed it to me and I fed Jack on the couch while Jeff finished getting ready for work.


This little guy actually is pretty happy in the mornings (I have no idea where he gets that from because his dad and I are both zombies first thing in the morning). After I give him his bottle, he usually hangs out in his crib and plays with Mr. Fox (his favorite stuffed animal) while I get dressed. He’s the last one I get ready, and we try to be dressed and in the car by 6:50. I have alarms on my phone for every 15 minutes in the mornings to keep me on track because I tend to move at a glacial pace in the mornings until my brain finally wakes up. We were almost on time today and were in the car by 6:55.

7:30 a.m. – ARRIVE AT WORK

My morning routine at work is always the same. I write out the agenda for my classes on the board (please don’t judge how dirty this board is…I know I need to clean it, but that’s at the bottom of my to-do list right now) and make sure that I have all my copies ready for the day. I even remembered to change the date on the board today, which is a big deal for me (it said January 11 when I erased it this morning, just to let you know how often I remember to do that). I usually have about 15 minutes to myself to settle in before the kids start coming in for the morning.


I love having my planning period in the middle of the day. It gives me a nice little break from students and gives me time to put in grades, work on lesson plans, or just chill if it’s been one of those days. I usually try to eat breakfast on the way to school, but today I didn’t so I took some time during my planning period to eat a Larabar and drink a V8 while I graded some papers.

12: 40 p.m. – LUNCH

This is so NOT what I wanted for lunch today, but I’m on day 21 of my January Whole 30, so I ate my mason jar salad and daydreamed of a Chick-fil-a sandwich, waffle fries, and sweet tea. My salad was good (just not as good as waffle fries) – I mixed some pineapple juice and a little olive oil with cilantro for a dressing and put that in the bottom of the jar, then tossed in some raw almonds, raisins, pineapple chunks, sliced strawberries, broccoli florets, sliced cucumbers, and mixed greens on top (this mix is spinach, kale, and leaf lettuce). I always shake the jar up a little before I dump it out onto a plate to help spread the dressing over the salad. Then I heated up a leftover hamburger patty from last night in the microwave and put it on top.

4:15 p.m. – TIME TO GO HOME!!!

I had to stay for about an hour after the final bell today to make some copies and plan for the rest of the week.

Leaving school and going to pick up Jack is always my favorite part of the day. He always smiles so big when I walk into daycare to get him, and it just makes my heart melt. I hope he’s always this excited to see his mama.


I came home to a starving husband, and he requested a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich ASAP. Once I cooked his food, I put in a load of laundry. Here’s a little fact about me: I am THE WORST at doing laundry. I will go put clothes in the washer and forget that I put them in there and they’ll end up sitting in the washer until they stink and I have to wash them again. Since Jeff was gone for two weeks, we are still catching up on all his laundry, so I put a load in the washer when I got home. I actually put a timer on my phone to remind me to go get them out and put them in the dryer (how sad is that?).

In the meantime, I fed Jack his supper (he tried carrots for the first time and loved them). I also made my lunch for tomorrow (a salad similar to the one I had today), cleaned up the kitchen, and rocked Jack for little bit.

8:00 p.m. – QUALITY TIME WITH JEFF AND JACK (and Pickles)

We brought ALL of Jack’s toys out to the living room so he could play while we watched some TV, but he was being clingy and just wanted to hang out on the couch with us. We watched the movie Enemy of the State and just chilled.

10:00 p.m. – BEDTIME (we wish)

We don’t have a consistent bedtime around here (does anybody have tips for sleep training a 6 month old?), so I usually just entertain Jack until he’s ready to fall asleep. He’s teething and gets really cranky around bedtime, so we always have to deal with him fighting sleep for a while before he gives up and falls asleep. While he was playing, I took some time to clean up the kitchen, lay out food for tomorrow’s dinner, and fold laundry while I watched House Hunters. He finally fell asleep around 11:30 and I went to bed right after he did.

That’s our typical day! It might seem a little boring and simple, but I wouldn’t trade all these little moments for the world.

My grandmother has a plaque in her house that says, “Thank you Lord for dirty dishes, For they have a tale to tell, While others may go hungry, We’re eating very well.” I have always loved that plaque and the meaning behind it. These little, everyday moments (including dirty dishes and laundry) are our greatest blessings, and I am so thankful for every day I have with my family.

12 thoughts on “A Day in the Life – January 2018

  1. Becoming His Tapestry January 23, 2018 / 12:08 pm

    Love that saying on the plaque. I have one with these words on my kitchen counter Counting our blessings

    • Christina Wallace January 23, 2018 / 12:17 pm

      It is one of my favorite sayings! It really helps to keep things in perspective because we are so blessed!

  2. mistimaan January 23, 2018 / 12:15 pm

    Loved the post

  3. Ellen Wallace January 23, 2018 / 4:21 pm

    I always love your writing. The pictures are wonderful!

  4. 2020cookingadventures January 25, 2018 / 11:13 am

    Hello. Your day sounds a lot like mine. I will have to try your mason jar salad. Look forward to your other posts.

    • Christina Wallace January 25, 2018 / 11:14 am

      Thank you! The salad was so good! I take a mason jar salad to work almost every day for lunch. I’m planning a post with lots of salad recipes soon! Thanks for reading!

      • 2020cookingadventures January 25, 2018 / 11:17 am

        Mark and I started our diets last week. But getting tired of the same plain salads, So I will be watching your page.

  5. Linda Lewis January 27, 2018 / 6:08 pm

    Thank you for sharing with us! I remember those days of early marriage, babies and working! You are to be commended and I admire you! Keep the posts and pictures coming…I will look forward to them!

Leave a Reply to Ellen Wallace Cancel reply