Jack and I are having a kind of lazy day at home. I’m trying to do a little housework and he’s pulling out toys faster than I can put them up. He’s crawling now, and he’s into everything. Even though he can make a huge mess, this stage is so much fun. I love seeing him crawl around and start to become independent. He’s so determined when he wants something and he squeals and giggles when he finally reaches something that he crawled across the room for.
He played hard this morning and tired himself out around 11, so when he took his nap, I whipped up this bowl of hearty goodness for my brunch. If you love banana nut bread, this is the oatmeal for you. It tastes exactly like my favorite banana bread recipe, and it’s gluten and refined sugar free!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats)
- 1/2 banana, mashed (slice the other half and reserve for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add the oats and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mashed banana, maple syrup, and walnuts.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes until the oats reach your desired consistency.
- Top oats with a sprinkle of cinnamon, 1/2 sliced banana, and a few more chopped walnut pieces.