Fall is my absolute favorite season, and even thought we are FAR from it feeling like fall here in Alabama, football season has started and there is fall decor in all the stores and I’m cranking my AC and lighting my pumpkin spice candles and pretending that the temps are dropping and the leaves are changing.
To celebrate my favorite season, this month I’m going to be sharing quick and easy soup recipes! There’s nothing quite as comforting as a steaming bowl of soup on a cool evening (even if the cool air is coming from my air conditioner). This week, I’m sharing a new favorite in our house: Mexican Chicken Soup with Cilantro Lime Rice.
I came up with this recipe one night when I didn’t have many groceries and was trying to throw together the cans of beans and corn I had in the pantry together to make a meal. It was a happy accident that we’ve been enjoying almost weekly since. You can definitely eat the soup alone, but we love it paired with cilantro lime rice and a squeeze of lime juice.
This soup comes together in about 45 minutes and packs a ton of flavor. It keeps in the fridge for about a week and reheats really well, so it’s a great option for meal prep!
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot sauce (to taste, as a garnish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon on olive oil over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add in diced onion and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Remove onion from the pot and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in pot and fill about 3/4 full with water.
- Season with a heavy sprinkle of salt, cover, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Let chicken boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low and let simmer until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from broth and strain off any foam from boiling.
- Shred or dice chicken into bite sized pieces and return to the pot of broth.
- Add in corn, beans, and sautéed onion.
- Stir in spices, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- In a medium sauce pan with a lid, bring two cups of water, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cilantro to a boil.
- When water is boiling, add in the Minute Rice and stir well.
- Squeeze in lime juice and stir.
- Once mixture is bubbling, cover and remove from the heat.
- Let sit covered for 5-6 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Fluff with a fork and top with a little more fresh cilantro.
Our favorite way to eat this soup and rice combo is to scoop a serving of rice (about 1/2 cup) into the middle of a soup bowl and then ladle the soup around it. Top with a wedge of lime and some fresh chopped cilantro as a garnish. You can also had some hot sauce or jalapeño slices if you want extra heat.