I came up with this recipe a few weeks ago when we were under a heat advisory because it felt like it was 115 degrees here. Despite the weather, I was in the mood for fall and was craving something sweet, so I cranked the AC, lit my fall scented candle, and pulled some random ingredients out of the pantry to bake something. I ended up with this pumpkin spice cake and was super happy with the final result. I took the leftovers (the whole cake except for the piece I ate to taste it) to school to share with my fellow teachers the next day and it got lots of thumbs up, so I decided it was good enough to share here. Now that it’s finally starting to feel like fall, I can’t wait to make this again!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines brand because I think they make the most moist cakes, but you can use any cake mix you prefer)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Whipped cream or cool whip (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cake mix, eggs, oil, and water until well combined.
- Whisk pumpkin into cake batter a little at a time until mixed well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to the batter and mix well.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Once cake is done, poke holes in the cake with a fork so the glaze can sink into the cake.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice and can of sweetened condensed milk and pour over the cake while it’s still warm.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- While cake cools, chop up 2 cups of pecans.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add pecans to the melted butter, then sprinkle on sugar.
- Cook until the pecans starts to get golden brown and sugar begins to form a crust on pecans.
- Spread the pecan pieces over the top of the cake.
- Serve with whipped cream (optional, but so good).