Originally Published – November 13, 2019 Updated – January 22, 2021
This sweet potato chili is the perfect meal to enjoy during this cooler weather that has finally made its way to Alabama. The sweet potatoes give it a unique, slightly sweet flavor while the sausage and spices give it a nice kick. It balances out perfectly. It’s also quick and easy to make and cooks in one pot, which makes cleaning up after dinner easy (always a win in my book).
Sweet Potato Chili
- In a large stock pot, heat about a tablespoon of avocado or olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion to the pot and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until the onions become transparent.
- Add the ground sausage to the pot and cook until browned.
- Add the chicken broth and sweet potato to the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil and boil for about 3 minutes, then reduce heat down to medium-low.
- Add beans, chilies, and spices and stir well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Sweet potato pieces should be fork tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- I usually get mild chilies, but go with your heat preference here.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, just leave it out and use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.