This recipe actually resulted from an accident. I planned on making a chicken pot pie for dinner and had already started making the filling when I realized that I didn’t have any pie crusts in the fridge. I added some egg noodles to my chicken mixture, planning to make chicken soup, but then my husband called and said he wanted something really hearty for dinner because he was starving. Soup does not fit into his definition of hearty, so I thickened it up, poured it into a casserole dish, topped it with crackers, stuck it in the oven and hoped for the best. It turned out really good and I’ve made it a few more times since then for an easy weeknight dinner.
Here’s the recipe:
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 bag egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 sleeves butter crackers
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- Place chicken breasts in water in a large pot with spices and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium heat, cover, and cook until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken breasts and bay leaves from broth. Shred chicken breasts and return to the broth.
- Add the bag of frozen vegetables and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling, add half a bag of egg noodles.
- Boil for 7-10 minutes (until the egg noodles are done).
- Reduce heat to low.
- Mix 1/2 cup of milk with 1 cup of self-rising flour in a large measuring cup. Whisk well so there are no lumps.
- Pour milk and flour mixture into the chicken and noodle mixture and stir well.
- Cook on low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with butter or margarine. Spoon in chicken and noodle mixture and spread evenly in the pan.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in the microwave in a mixing bowl. Crush 2 sleeves of crackers into the melted butter and stir well.
- Pour crackers over the noodle mixture and then sprinkle about a tablespoon of parsley on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until cracker crust is golden brown.